Church History - Part 4
The Beaver Memorial Church
Sometimes it is the ladies who prepare the way for advances in the Church and in the Christian life. In the year 1886, Lewisburg’s Methodist women were concerned with raising money for a new church. One afternoon as they were preparing a money-raising fish diner and making “fancy work” for sale, a gentleman came by who was to change their history. Perhaps drawn by the aroma of the fish, he found his way to the basement and learned what was going on. He poked around the building and noted the decaying structure. This stranger was Thomas Beaver of Danville, whose brother, Peter II, lived in what is now the McClure home on University Avenue. After “looking over the dilapidated building, he at once resolved to erect a memorial building in honor of his father, The Rev. Peter Beaver, a life-long Methodist.”
The Beavers were a remarkable family. Under the name of “Bieber” “Beaver”, “deBeauvoir”, they were German Huguenots in Alsace Lorainne who, when the French Catholics took over, suffered persecution. According to their family history, Beavers began coming to the United States in 1732 and continued for forty years, going to every state in the Union. They were “refugees”. The direct ancestors of Peter Beaver (deBeauvoir) came over on “The Pink”, 1.00 ton sailing vessel in 1732. Peter Beaver was born in Upper Strassburg, Franklin County, December 25, 1781. A tanner by trade in Jonestown, Lebanon County, he branched out into merchandising once operating a store in New Berlin. He was also a Methodist lay preacher, without salary, having been ordained into the ministry by Bishop Asbury at Elkton, Maryland, in 1809. His services were in both English and German. Married twice, he had a total of 13 children. He died August 26, 1849, and was buried in New Berlin while that community was still the center of the Evangelical Church administration. Although he preached primarily in Lebanon, Berks, Perry and Dauphin counties, he was present at a Quarterly Conference in 1853.
Three of his sons, Thomas, Jacob and Peter II, were eminently successful in business. Jacob’s son, Charles Addams Beaver, was to become President of Penn State University, Governor of the Commonwealth, 1887-1891, and later a Superior Court Justice. A brevet Brigadier General in the Civil War, he lost a leg. His administration was notable for its emphasis on Education. Peter II settled in Lewisburg and was associated with the Marsh, Geddys and Rooke families in the Winfield iron works, in the local water company, and other ventures. Thomas was an “ironmonger” with much business experience and finally settled in Danville. Born November 11, 1814, he died in Danville, May 19, 1891, and is buried in Lewisburg. Both wealthy and generous, he gave $30,000.00 to Dickinson College, $25,000.00 to Lafayette, and endowed the Danville Public Library.
Lewisburg had celebrated her centennial in 1888. Promoters of the Centennial were exuberant about the future, projecting a population of 100,000 by 1988. They were selling lots with this in mind. The University at Lewisburg had become Bucknell University with affluent supporters. Public education had been introduced. There were new churches, a very famous Opera House, a new County Court House, three newspapers, several flour mills, two sawmills, a public water works, a nail factory, a woolen mill, two banks, a new railroad connection with freight and passenger service, and a fire department with a new $10,000.00 engine given by William Cameron, local patron.
It was about this time that Thomas Beaver, himself a Presbyterian, had his visit with the industrious and hospitable ladies in the basement of the old church. He made his proposal to the congregation of the Lewisburg Methodist Church that he build a church in memory of his father, Peter Beaver. The church then had 384 members. His offer was enthusiastically received. How well he planned can be seen from the architecture of the building and its construction. The corner stone was laid on August 10, 1888, and dedicated May 14, 1890. The Rev. David H. Shields was pastor. The dedication ceremonies lasted for three days and attracted wide attention. Bishop Cyrus Foss of Philadelphia preached the dedicatory sermon; the dedication was under the direction of Bishop Thomas Bowman of St. Louis, and pastor here in 1857-1858. Lectures were given by Governor James A. Beaver (grandson of Rev. Peter Beaver) by the Editor of The Christian Advocate; by the President of Dickinson College; and by Bishop John H. Vincent. Bishop Vincent, born at Chillisquaque, attended this church in his boyhood and later was co-founder of the Chautauqua Institution.
Mr. Beaver seems to have provided something over $100,000.00, and members raised $19,000.00. The cost is estimated to have been about $150,000.00. He died a year later, before consummating his plan to provide an endowment. The architect was Charles Snead Wetzel of Danville, and the builder Archibald Gray Voris, also of Danville. The outer walls are constructed of “Euclid Blue Stone” from the Malone Quarries in Cleveland, Ohio. Aberdeen, Scotland, granite is used in the outer and inner columns with their carved caps. The bell, weighing 3,052 pounds (4,500 with mountings), was cast by the Meneely Foundry of West Troy, New York. It measures 53 inches in diameter and hangs 140 feet above the pavement. Famous for its tone quality, it can be heard each Sunday morning, calling the congregation to worship. The inscription on it reads,
“I summon all people to come and hear my Father’s glad tidings of Mercy”
The sanctuary windows were proclaimed: “There is not anywhere in America such an assembly of stained-glass windows. Nor is there any finer work in the world than shown here.” (The Breakfast Table, Williamsport, 5/17/90). The windows were furnished by A. Goodwin of Philadelphia. The glass portrait of The Rev. Peter Beaver, which formerly hung over the chancel, is now in the Narthex. The portrait of the donor is in the window of the Pastor’s study. The Austrian ruby glass is today irreplaceable. The windows are insured for $49,700.00. A detailed inventory of the windows was prepared by Dr. John W. Rice. The eight chandeliers in our sanctuary are replicas of those in Wesley’s Epworth Church in London.
Sometimes it is the ladies who prepare the way for advances in the Church and in the Christian life. In the year 1886, Lewisburg’s Methodist women were concerned with raising money for a new church. One afternoon as they were preparing a money-raising fish diner and making “fancy work” for sale, a gentleman came by who was to change their history. Perhaps drawn by the aroma of the fish, he found his way to the basement and learned what was going on. He poked around the building and noted the decaying structure. This stranger was Thomas Beaver of Danville, whose brother, Peter II, lived in what is now the McClure home on University Avenue. After “looking over the dilapidated building, he at once resolved to erect a memorial building in honor of his father, The Rev. Peter Beaver, a life-long Methodist.”
The Beavers were a remarkable family. Under the name of “Bieber” “Beaver”, “deBeauvoir”, they were German Huguenots in Alsace Lorainne who, when the French Catholics took over, suffered persecution. According to their family history, Beavers began coming to the United States in 1732 and continued for forty years, going to every state in the Union. They were “refugees”. The direct ancestors of Peter Beaver (deBeauvoir) came over on “The Pink”, 1.00 ton sailing vessel in 1732. Peter Beaver was born in Upper Strassburg, Franklin County, December 25, 1781. A tanner by trade in Jonestown, Lebanon County, he branched out into merchandising once operating a store in New Berlin. He was also a Methodist lay preacher, without salary, having been ordained into the ministry by Bishop Asbury at Elkton, Maryland, in 1809. His services were in both English and German. Married twice, he had a total of 13 children. He died August 26, 1849, and was buried in New Berlin while that community was still the center of the Evangelical Church administration. Although he preached primarily in Lebanon, Berks, Perry and Dauphin counties, he was present at a Quarterly Conference in 1853.
Three of his sons, Thomas, Jacob and Peter II, were eminently successful in business. Jacob’s son, Charles Addams Beaver, was to become President of Penn State University, Governor of the Commonwealth, 1887-1891, and later a Superior Court Justice. A brevet Brigadier General in the Civil War, he lost a leg. His administration was notable for its emphasis on Education. Peter II settled in Lewisburg and was associated with the Marsh, Geddys and Rooke families in the Winfield iron works, in the local water company, and other ventures. Thomas was an “ironmonger” with much business experience and finally settled in Danville. Born November 11, 1814, he died in Danville, May 19, 1891, and is buried in Lewisburg. Both wealthy and generous, he gave $30,000.00 to Dickinson College, $25,000.00 to Lafayette, and endowed the Danville Public Library.
Lewisburg had celebrated her centennial in 1888. Promoters of the Centennial were exuberant about the future, projecting a population of 100,000 by 1988. They were selling lots with this in mind. The University at Lewisburg had become Bucknell University with affluent supporters. Public education had been introduced. There were new churches, a very famous Opera House, a new County Court House, three newspapers, several flour mills, two sawmills, a public water works, a nail factory, a woolen mill, two banks, a new railroad connection with freight and passenger service, and a fire department with a new $10,000.00 engine given by William Cameron, local patron.
It was about this time that Thomas Beaver, himself a Presbyterian, had his visit with the industrious and hospitable ladies in the basement of the old church. He made his proposal to the congregation of the Lewisburg Methodist Church that he build a church in memory of his father, Peter Beaver. The church then had 384 members. His offer was enthusiastically received. How well he planned can be seen from the architecture of the building and its construction. The corner stone was laid on August 10, 1888, and dedicated May 14, 1890. The Rev. David H. Shields was pastor. The dedication ceremonies lasted for three days and attracted wide attention. Bishop Cyrus Foss of Philadelphia preached the dedicatory sermon; the dedication was under the direction of Bishop Thomas Bowman of St. Louis, and pastor here in 1857-1858. Lectures were given by Governor James A. Beaver (grandson of Rev. Peter Beaver) by the Editor of The Christian Advocate; by the President of Dickinson College; and by Bishop John H. Vincent. Bishop Vincent, born at Chillisquaque, attended this church in his boyhood and later was co-founder of the Chautauqua Institution.
Mr. Beaver seems to have provided something over $100,000.00, and members raised $19,000.00. The cost is estimated to have been about $150,000.00. He died a year later, before consummating his plan to provide an endowment. The architect was Charles Snead Wetzel of Danville, and the builder Archibald Gray Voris, also of Danville. The outer walls are constructed of “Euclid Blue Stone” from the Malone Quarries in Cleveland, Ohio. Aberdeen, Scotland, granite is used in the outer and inner columns with their carved caps. The bell, weighing 3,052 pounds (4,500 with mountings), was cast by the Meneely Foundry of West Troy, New York. It measures 53 inches in diameter and hangs 140 feet above the pavement. Famous for its tone quality, it can be heard each Sunday morning, calling the congregation to worship. The inscription on it reads,
“I summon all people to come and hear my Father’s glad tidings of Mercy”
The sanctuary windows were proclaimed: “There is not anywhere in America such an assembly of stained-glass windows. Nor is there any finer work in the world than shown here.” (The Breakfast Table, Williamsport, 5/17/90). The windows were furnished by A. Goodwin of Philadelphia. The glass portrait of The Rev. Peter Beaver, which formerly hung over the chancel, is now in the Narthex. The portrait of the donor is in the window of the Pastor’s study. The Austrian ruby glass is today irreplaceable. The windows are insured for $49,700.00. A detailed inventory of the windows was prepared by Dr. John W. Rice. The eight chandeliers in our sanctuary are replicas of those in Wesley’s Epworth Church in London.